The Nomad Farm Project
After traveling, working online, and living in different countries over the last 3 years, I decided it is about time to create something that I haven’t found yet in my travels; a place where different people can coexist as a family and small community without paying for accommodation. The main goal of this farm is make people learn and grow as both entrepreneurs and as individuals. It does not matter where you are from or what your skill sets are, if you simply want to work on your personal projects in an environment where everyone is there to help and motivate each other, this is the perfect place to work and live.
I have an old family farm that has been uninhabited for the past 10 years. The farm is old but there is a lot of potential to become a great space to be creative and work beside fellow nomads. The idea is to start with a small team of 4 or 5 members (there are 4 rooms available, for now) to begin fixing what has to be fixed on the farm to make it the best living and working space possible. The main house has all the facilities needed, such as bedrooms, bathrooms, and a kitchen, but the house does need a bit of color and some fixing since no one has lived there for a long time! The main plan is to live together, work together to fix the house, and improve upon our own personal projects by talking to and learning new skills from each other.
The working space will be the 2nd house found next to the main house, so you will have the quiet environment needed to focus on completing your goals. Once the fields around the two houses are fixed as well, the farm will be used to house animals and a functional garden that we will tend to on our free time.
Goals for 6 Months:
- Paint the inside of the main house
- Redecorate and refurnish the 4 available rooms
- Convert the 2nd house into a coworking space with all the needed facilities for personal projects
- Build a swimming pool
- Create a creative lounge/entertainment area on the existing Solarium House
- Create 2 extra rooms on the ground floor with bunk beds for regular visitors and Woofers/Couchsurfers
- Fix the fields and have new animals on the farm (pigs, goats, rabbits, birds, dogs, etc)
- Create an organic garden and grow our own vegetables
- Start to host regular digital nomads that visit us to share knowledge and work with us
- Create a camping area
- The farm is located in a quiet area 3km from the city of Barcelos, Portugal.
- There is everything you may need on this farm and if you would like to go to town for the night or for any needs or shop at one of the small supermarkets and shops, you can walk or cycle to the city in less than 30 minutes. If a car is not available, bicycles can be used to reach all of the facilities in the area we need.
- I have a beach house available less than 20 minutes away from the farm, so relaxing beach days can be found on the weekends or for long breaks.
- The city of Porto is only 45 minute bus ride from Barcelos, which makes it easy to go out and meet new people during the weekends.
- There are buses and trains departing daily from Barcelos to all the main cities if you want to travel (closest airport is Porto)
- I am looking for easy-going people who work online or want to focus on personal projects, whatever they may be.
- Accommodation will be free, however, you will be required to help clean and maintain the house. This includes repairing furniture, painting walls, cooking, gardening, etc.
- Share the costs of the meals and bills (no more than 10 euros each per month for bills)
- Share everything as a family, from food, knowledge, small trips around the area, etc.
- Be fluent in English and ready to help the fellow housemates
- Be willing to share your skills and learn with the others
If you are interested in the project and joining our starting team (planning to start Mid March/April 2016) drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with me on FB !
Looking forward to hearing from you!
I will be uploading photos of the Farm as soon as I have them available or sending them to you by email if you are actually looking forward to join the project.